Tuesday 3 November 2015

# 30 Make fresh pasta

After searching through several books for a recipe for fresh pasta, I settled on the one in Jamie O's Italian book. It's a basic recipe, 600g '00' plain flour and 6 eggs, although you can exchange one egg for two egg yolks for a richer dough if you want to.


Making the pasta dough is fairly straightforward, although pretty messy, and kneading it is pretty similar to making bread dough. It's the rolling out that causes the trouble.


Now, Jamie says you don't need a pasta machine to roll out the dough. Ha! Ok, yes it is possible, theoretically, but it's bloomin hard work and I found it almost impossible to get the pasta really thin.


I got there in the end though, just about, and once rolled out I used a ricotta and spinach mix to make the pasta into ravioli and a tomatoey sauce to go with it.


The end result wasn't brilliant (the pasta was a bit too thick and a bit heavy) but they were edible and on the whole the family enjoyed them. I might make them again if I had access to a pasta machine but with all the great fresh pasta you can buy in the supermarkets I may have to add it to the list of things-not-worth-making yourself!


No comments:

Post a Comment