Thursday 31 December 2015

# 34 Frame the Matisse print

I know next to nothing about art but I LOVE Matisse's cut-outs and have for years. Last year I was lucky enough to see an exhibition at the Tate Modern and it was amazing to see some of the originals in real life.


Anyway, around 16 years ago (I know!) I found a print in the Washington Museum of Art, purchased it and managed to transport it home in my rucksack. It may well have been my first encounter with Matisse but it was so long ago I can't be sure. Since then it had got no further than a basic frame propped up in a corner in the bedroom. So I was determined that this would be the year that I gave it the frame it deserved.


Simple right? Actually this turned out to be one of the most difficult tasks of the whole year. I already have a framed Matisse print (an original 1950's lithograph and one of my most prized possessions) and wanted to match the style so they could hang side by side. To cut a long story short it involved visits to a number of framers and searches on the internet before I managed to find someone who could achieve even close to what I was after.

I got there in the end though and while the result isn't an exact match to it's brother it's not far off and, finally, after all these years, my little print is hanging where it belongs.


No comments:

Post a Comment